Sunday, April 15, 2012

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Matt is gone on an overnight job at least once a month. Last year, a job he did in January kept him in Connecticut for 2 1/2 months.
I like doing little things for him whenever he's gone, here are some of the things I've done/I'm still planning to do:
-Write love notes every day he's gone and give them to him when he gets back
-Sneak in a book, logic puzzles etc into his suitcase in case he gets bored
-Make an overnight bag with all the fixin's in case he has to stay overnight at a job (he keeps this in his truck at all times, and I've found it helpful for when we're traveling together and I forgot to pack something)
-Send pictures of things that happen, or things that I'm doing (prevents him from feeling bombarded by me wanting to show him every new craft I try)
-Make him a little book of quotes, pictures, etc or something interesting for him to read each day.
-Skype/talk on the phone each night (sometimes it's nice to let him fall asleep on the phone with me too)

When he gets home here are some ways I've welcomed/ will welcome him:
-give him a massage
-prepare a home cooked meal
-treat him to a dinner and a movie
-let him talk (do not underestimate the power of listening, Matt has gone to Connecticut, Texas, Alabama, Minnesota, Colorado, etc etc etc and always has fun stories to tell and maybe some steam to blow off too)

No comments:

Post a Comment