Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Life Goes On



A couple weeks ago, I went in to get some blood drawn for tests. My doctor had told me that it would only be a few vials, nothing to worry about (I hate needles). Upon sitting down and being locked in by the special bar they put in front of you (smart people), I found out it would be a bit more than expected. Matt, my ever supportive boyfriend, watched the nurses walk over and told me not to watch them, as they brought over the tray of vials. Good thing I listened, or I would have seen a lot more than...five. Alas, I figured it out after the 15th vial and a slight feeling of dizziness...which grew to nausea at about the 23th and, you guessed it, I fainted. In all it was 30.
I told the girls at work that they better have found absolutely nothing, or something great to make it worthwhile.

Here's the results:

I found out that I have mutations in my Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene, aka MTHFR (the gene produces the MTHFR enzyme which helps process amino acids and vitamin B, for more info go to this website, it's the most straightforward and understandable info I've found). One thing it does not explain, however, is how it effects blood clotting (those with MTHFR cannot break down clots as easily). 
I was advised that I need to start living as healthy as possible, including lots of cardio exercise (to help get blood flowing and "wash out" those nasty blood clots), and cutting out foods that have a lot of calories in them. Also, MTHFR mutations causes us not to absorb folic acids (which help break down clots) like we should, so I need to find out which foods are rich in folic acids and start eating the crap out of them.
As if that wasn't enough, I also have a VERY low amount of fibrinogine (which helps blood to clot when it is supposed to) meaning no rough housing for me. This will also effect when I can do the surgery for removing the hamartoma (a benign tumor made of disorganized and rebellious tissue cells) in my breast! Woooo! *wipes forehead*
As you can see, this is a lot to think about. Not only can I not MAKE clots like I'm supposed to, but if I do have problematic clots, my body can't take care of those like it's supposed to either!

This gives me more motivation to live as healthy as possible. I have been having trouble finding the motivation to work out as much as I need to, but I am doing better with portion sizes and what I am eating (if anyone has suggestions of your favorite work-out regimens let me know, I'm very ADD about it, especially when repeating the same thing over and over). 

I am thankful that all these conditions are not life threatening. And what a great treatment for them: having healthy habits! Sounds pretty simple (ha). 
I could still use some support though and ask that you please pray for me that I will understand as much as I need to about these conditions, how to live with them, and that I will work-out as much as I need to despite my lack of motivation. Please also pray that we will find a great surgeon, that my fibrinogine count will go up, and that my surgery will go swimmingly.

UPDATE: turns out they miscounted my fibrinogine, so no worries about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment